You know a lot about mental health, but that's not always easy to prove. This is why Letters to Strangers created an extremely comprehensive mental health certification test where you can show off your knowledge. Designed as a cumulative exam based on our groundbreaking youth-for-youth mental health guidebook (though you can take it without having read our guidebook), this test features:
- a thorough evaluation of your knowledge on mental health from an intersectional perspective, with a deep dive into culture, background, and youth
- questions designed with professional and medical expertise/advice
- multiple choice, free response, matching, and true/false questions across 13 different sections of mental health knowledge (which means receiving this certification truly lets your expertise shine - it's designed to make others take you seriously)
- human graders who will individually evaluate your answers and any nuances that may arise (mental health is a very personal and fluid thing, and your answers deserve to be treated as something reflectant of that!)
- a custom certificate and online award from Letters to Strangers that backs up our support of your fight and knowledge once you pass the test
- three attempts within a six-month period, so you can take the time to review and learn without worrying about extra costs
- a proud & noteworthy addition to your resume and experiences, approved and backed by the world's largest youth-for-youth mental health nonprofit.
FOR BULK ORDERS, we offer the following discounts:
- 10+: 5%
- 25+: 10%
- 50+: 20%
- 100+: 25%
Mental Health Certification
Terms & Conditions
- How many times can I take this exam?
A single purchase allows you up to three attempts within a six-month period. In other words, if you do not pass the exam within the first try, you still have two more attempts. However, you must use these attempts within a six-month period from the date of your first attempt. Any attempts after this six-month period will be considered forfeited.
You are welcome to purchase more exam opportunities if you do not pass within the first three attempts. However, you must wait six months after your last attempt before you may take the exam again. This is to encourage you to utilize the time to review and take a breather.
- Do I have to read the Letters to Strangers guidebook to take this test?
No, you technically don't have to. However, we strongly encourage you to do so, since we cover mental health from perspectives that aren't often discussed. We believe in an intersectional approach to mental health and reflect that in our guidebook as well as the 13 sections of our exams.
- Do I have to buy the guidebook?
We offer the guidebook for sale as a physical full-color copy here, and as a digital full-color copy here. However, you are also able to download it completely for free as a digital black-and-white file.
- Is the test open-book?
Yes, you are allowed to consult the Letters to Strangers Youth-for-Youth Mental Health Guidebook while taking the exam (but you may not ask others for answers).
- What is the passing criteria for the exam?
The exam passing criteria is 75% or higher in each section. This means that everything is evaluated comprehensively and from an intersectional perspective – knowing a lot in one area of mental health but not in others may mean that you will not pass the exam.
- What if I have other questions?
If your question is not answered, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
NOTE: If you are from outside of the U.S., there may be certain test sections that do not apply to you, such as the section on Navigating the U.S. Healthcare System. If you would like an international version of the exam, please note so in your purchase or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.